Re: SNI & rPC Floopy

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SNI & rPC Floopy
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:10:37 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Yes.  The more I hear you talk about cache problems, the more I start
> to think that the floppy problem may be a cache problem.  I've rerun
> the seek tests and it could be seeking, or not.  There is a lot of
> background noise in the room it is in.  I'll have to shake lose about
> 4-8 hours in a row to look into it.

You might open the floppy drive and look at the heads directly.  With
most of the floppies I know this is no big mechanical probblem.

> Does it use exactly the same glue code as the rPC44, or just the same
> floppy driver?

Both should be identical down to the bit.

                  Maybe one of the DMA calls is boogered up on the rPC
> version.

I wouldn't wonder if the Deskstation guys modified the DMA logik of the
board in some difficile way ...  I'll have to talk to them again also.

            I'll have to take a look at that when I get a free minute.
> I've been swamped with house guests and spring cleaning (and a cool
> "new" used radial arm saw) for the past two weeks or so,

Doom ?-)

                                                             so I haven't
> done much on the rPC.
>
> BTW, when will the SNI code be released, or is it in the massive patch
> I've not grabbed?

The SNI stuff is in 1.3.98.  I'll be doing a little hack session the next
night and upgrade to 1.99.8 aka pre2.0.8.  1.99.7 is already running :-)

The SNI looks enough like a "normal" Linux machine so that Drew
attempted in Berlin to copy some binaries on it.  If not a permission
denied had stopped him a "wrong architecture" would have done :-)  He's
not the only guy who got fooled by the machine; like the other machines
the SNI was abused as stupid telnet terminal for the most of the time ...

I'll have to excuse once again for not doing all the things that I've
promised on the mailinglist and some people in private.  I recently had
a car accident and 'till I've can replace it (Send me all your cars $-)
public traffic/biking costs me some extra hours each day.

Anyway, email get's outdated as it is being written - 1.99.8 is running
on the SNI now ...