Re: SNI & rPC Floopy

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SNI & rPC Floopy
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 08:07:18 -0600
: last night I tortured the floppy code for the SNI a bit and found it
: to be working perfectly.  It's exactly the same code that is also being
: used for Warner's rPC44 with the exception that it fails on the rPC.
: So I've now profen this code to work on a machine equvalent to the model
: that I have in mind of the rPC.  In other words: this must be a
: Deskstation specific bug.

Bummer.

: Sorry Warner, this is not good news for you,

Yes.  The more I hear you talk about cache problems, the more I start
to think that the floppy problem may be a cache problem.  I've rerun
the seek tests and it could be seeking, or not.  There is a lot of
background noise in the room it is in.  I'll have to shake lose about
4-8 hours in a row to look into it.

Does it use exactly the same glue code as the rPC44, or just the same
floppy driver?  Maybe one of the DMA calls is boogered up on the rPC
version.  I'll have to take a look at that when I get a free minute.
I've been swamped with house guests and spring cleaning (and a cool
"new" used radial arm saw) for the past two weeks or so, so I haven't
done much on the rPC.

BTW, when will the SNI code be released, or is it in the massive patch
I've not grabbed?

Warner