Interested in Linux for DEC3100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Interested in Linux for DEC3100
From: Jonas Nygren <ehsjony@ehs.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 12:53:46 +0100
I have an old DEC3100 with a disk and tape (Dec RK RZ something)
which I would like to use as backup server for my Linux 586 box.

I see two alternatives:

1) keep old ultrix (3.1 I believe) and connect it to Linux
   via ethernet: ftp, rlogin/telnet and preferably NFS.

2) get Linux running on the DEC3100. To really use it I would
   have to have drivers for the DEC disc and tape. They are SCSI
   but may have their peculiarities.

Do you have any suggestions? I would like to do it in a two step
mode: 1 and then 2. Do you know of anybody doing 1 and can give
me a reference - I need to identify type of ethernet plus driver
for Linux 586 that will fit together with the DEC3100.

When I get a connection I could be interested to do some kernel
hacking to get Linux on the DEC. Though, my experience is limited
and so is my freetime. At least I should be able to do some testing.

Best regards

Jonas Nygren