Re: Olivetti console - eureka!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Olivetti console - eureka!
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 18:17:48 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Ralf> Linux
> Ralf> kills the ARC BIOS completly (gaining between several hundere kb
> Ralf> to some megs RAM dependand from the ARC BIOS implementation ...)
> Ralf> and we can therefore not write to the ARC BIOS variables
> Ralf> directly.  This means we have to change them directly from the
> Ralf> BIOS which is very unhandy.  (But this comfort is worth that
> Ralf> much memory ...)
>
> There I don't get you, what do you mean by 'change them directly from
> the BIOS', the kernel never touch anything belonging to the BIOS,
> isn't it ? It just gather infos Milo passed to it, so why do you want
> to write something in the BIOS var ?

I'm not talking about UNIX enviroment variables, I'm talking about ARC
environment variables via which Milo get's his parameters passed when
it isn't run interactivly.  By killing the BIOS we loose the capability
to manipulate these variables and therefore need something else to
replace this capabilities and this is the main reason why I suggested
a "milo.rc".

Another thing we might try is to save the ARC BIOS memory stuff on disk
during the startup, a bit a strange procedure for a UNIX system, isn't
it?  I prefer a textfile over a userinterface anyway.