Re: Olivetti console - eureka!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Olivetti console - eureka!
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 16:47:30 +0200
Hi all,
>>>>> "Ralf" == Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de> writes:
[SNIP]
Ralf> I'm thinking about if we should add something like a bootrc for
Ralf> milo with all relevant information for bootstrapping.

Once ago Luc and I already thought of such a Milo helper file with
among other the kind of information which is actually harcoded in
identify.c. So the idea would be: Milo try very 'lightly' to detect
the box's model and then read revelant info from a file.

Ralf> Linux
Ralf> kills the ARC BIOS completly (gaining between several hundere kb
Ralf> to some megs RAM dependand from the ARC BIOS implementation ...)
Ralf> and we can therefore not write to the ARC BIOS variables
Ralf> directly.  This means we have to change them directly from the
Ralf> BIOS which is very unhandy.  (But this comfort is worth that
Ralf> much memory ...)

There I don't get you, what do you mean by 'change them directly from
the BIOS', the kernel never touch anything belonging to the BIOS,
isn't it ? It just gather infos Milo passed to it, so why do you want
to write something in the BIOS var ?

Stoned.