Another new DECStation kernel...

Subject: Another new DECStation kernel...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 11:04:19 +1000 (EST)
Hi folks,

I've been playing with the 1.3.62 kernel for the DECStations some more,
and have uploaded the latest version to my ftp site.  This should be
mirrored on fnet within a day of this message (right, Luc?) and has
the same name as before:

        ftp://softway.com.au/pub/linux-mips/dec_vmlinux.1.3.62.test.gz

Please try it out, as it does quite a bit more than the previous version,
including accessing the clock correctly (at least on DS5000/2x's).

I am trying to track down a continuing problem with the production
of DEC-compatible ecoff binaries.  It appears that gas may be the culprit...
as whatever gas produces, the other binutils will happily create.  I
still can't see why there are two different types of ecoff-littlemips
binaries though... e.g.:

        vmlinux:       mipsel executable not stripped - version 2.11
        vmlinux.2.6.2: mipsel executable not stripped

...the version 2.11's are the only ones the DECStation will load.

In the meantime, anyone wanting to compile DECStation code is advised
to build a version of binutils 2.6.x with the target as mips-dec-ultrix:

        ./configure --target=mips-dec-utlrix

and to make the standard release of linux/MIPS gcc use these binutils
(i.e. specifically as) to produce .o's until I figure out what's really
happening.  The other standard mips-linuxelf-* binutils (ar, nm, ld etc.)
will then happily deal with the resultant .o's and produce archives and
link objects in the DEC-compatible format provided you tell ld to expect
ecoff-littlemips input and produce it as output:

        ld -b ecoff-littlemips -oformat ecoff-littlemips

Ralf: I was going to wait a little bit until the latest round of
kernel hacks had settled before re-integrating the DECStation goo.
Could you code-freeze at some convenient point so I can grab a
snapshot of the full tree and re-integrate... this should probably
make our jobs a little easier, as I have plenty of patches to sort out.

Regards,
Paul