Re: Deskstation info

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation info
From: linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de (Linux Support)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 00:10:46 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> : Go figure a change to the keyboard driver would fix linux's ability to
> : mount the floppies on my machine.  1.3.65 paniced when I tried to
> : mount root because it wasn't reading in the blocks correctly.  1.3.66
> : now mounts my root file system, but I'm missing a few things on the
> : disk I have that keep me from getting to a # prompt.  I'm off trying
> : to build a sane root floppy now.
>
> Well, 1.3.66 gets farther, but still has problems after the first
> couple of successful reads, so the bug is still there.  Bummer.  At
> least I've backported ext2fs from FreeBSD-current to -stable so I can
> create root disks now.
>
> Oh well, back to the big march to 1.3.96.  I had hoped for a while
> that 1.3.66 would have been the ticket for me to get the sh prompt.

Oh well, without docs it's always a bit difficult.  I just got the RM200
console up and running; I'll now have to find out how the whole interrupt
thing works on this machine.  Just couldn't wait for docs to arrive.

The interesting thing in my work on the RM200 for you is that the machine
as far as I know yet is pretty similar to the rPC44.  PC style memory
layout with hole from 640kb-1mb,  all hardware accessible without using
wired mappings - just in all aspect a PC with a RISC CPU.  So stay tuned
for my next patch.

I've also made the big code cleanup and moved the board dependand stuff
into four new subdirs.  I'll just have to check if the whole mess still
compiles for the Acer.  But at least the thing looks much cleaner now.

Hm...  My private IP subnet will soon run out of IPs for my MIPS boxes ...

Happy hacking,