Re: Magnum != Olivetti

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum != Olivetti
From: linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de (Linux Support)
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 15:44:02 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

> It's interesting that my request for hierarchical machine definitions
> should prove so useful to others so quickly... or is this 'hack' simply a
> sad statement about Olivetti in general? :-)

(We always knew that is useful - but someone how really needed that stuff
had to implement it ...)

The same is probably true for the Siemens Nixdorf machines.  They're
ranging from uniprocessor desktop machines upto 1024 processor machines.
I've built a workaround into Milo that makes Milo useable even without
PIC code (which again would require using a binutils snapshot ...) and
I'm just building the first kernel for this thing.  Overall the machine
look closer to the standard PC architecture than all other jet supported
machines;  I think both Ethernet and SCSI chips are already supported by
Linux, so we should have relatibly fast progress with this machine.