Re: m700-10 success

Subject: Re: m700-10 success
From: Andreas Busse <>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 08:00:05 +0200
Hi all,

 > There are three groups of MIPS machines you're likely to meet up with:
 > o Workstations/computers from SGI and their "friends" Pyramid and
 >   Siemens-Nixdorf.  All big-endian, probably not adaptable.  SGI's
 >   success means that this is much the largest group of machines.

that's not true: The box we received from SNI runs WinNT (LE) as well
as Sinix (BE). So it must be reconfigurable.

 > o PC's built during the great Windows/NT-on-MIPS scam.  All
 >   little-endian, usually not adaptable.  But very, very cheap.
 > [Advertisement mode on: I've never met a MIPS board which can work
 >  either way around, except the ones Algorithmics make.]

Also, not true :-) Both Magnum and Olivetti (boxes actually designed
for WinNT) can run in BE mode. At least for the Magnum I can confirm
that since I've used a Magnum with Mips Risc/OS (BE) for years.
SGI or Mips, resp. itself was working on a Bi-endian kernel (afaik)
but after lots of nasty problems this project was stopped. Well,
that's what I heard...

Andreas Busse                      |