Re: m700-10 success

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: m700-10 success
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 08:36:44 -0600
: Interesting! I didn't know it could be done in user mode for MIPS, I thought
: it had to be done no later than during boot (I seem to remember a pin on the
: chip for this?).

That's why Ralf keeps talking about the bi-endian kernel.  There is a
bit in the PSW that says "I'm running in the opposite byte order now"
that just needs to be toggled, and a few other kernel<-> changes.
Well, and some library changes (htons is a noop on BE, but requires
code on LE).  You wouldn't believe the bugs you get when you are
running in one endian and using numbers from the other endian once in
a while...

Warner