Re: m700-10 success

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: m700-10 success
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:28:33 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> On Wed, 8 May 1996 06:20:31 +0200 (MET DST), linux-mips@fnet.fr wrote:
> > PS: Little endian sucks.
>
> I'd be interested in your quantifiable reasons behind that, if you
> don't mind...

Big endian machines are far more aggressive against software problem like
interchanging pointers to integer objects of different size.  On a big
endian machine such problems are quite visible while on a little endian
machine the problem is pretty invisible.

And of course because we intended to create only one new UNIX/Linux flavour,
not two.  Having two doesn't even buy us something - one of both is
superfluous.  With respect to existing Unices for MIPSes I say this is the
little endian flavour.