Re: m700-10 success

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: m700-10 success
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 06:26:40 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> On May 2, 10:50, I wrote about my Olivetti & 1.3.96:
> >My 3c503 ethernet board works fine now, in PIO mode.  There's still something
> >wrong with the shared mem detection, I'll come back to that when I get time
>
> First, I had to patch io.h a little (mismatched parentheses) in order to be
> able to compile 3c503.c.

Ok, patch is in.  There was some bug in the interrupt routine that made
the interrupt detection for (E)ISA cards sometimes fail.  Change your
interrupt routine in arch/mips/kernel/entry.S to like as follows:

                /*
                 * Don't return & unblock the pic
                 */
LEAF(bad_interrupt)
                .set    reorder
                lw      t0,%lo(intr_count)(s3)
                .set    noreorder
                subu    t0,1
                j       return
                sw      t0,%lo(intr_count)(s3)          # delay slot
                END(bad_interrupt)

The old routine did unblock the PIC chips and therefore wipe out the
interrupt's traces that the interrupt detection uses.  This was the cause
for the strange boot messages when using IDE disk.

> So what I had to do to get up and running was to disable the part of the code
> in 3c503.c (el2_probe) that probes for shared memory.  This is because the
> 3c503 code tries shared memory probing first before it falls back to ioport
> probing.  The code piece I'm talking about is the one that starts with

This is a bit weired because the address the the readl() accesses should
be correctly mapped in the TLB.  Could you send me your crash messages,
please?

Have to find one of these 3c503 at the university.  I'm living inNE2000 &
Sonic-land ...