Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 22:57:47 -0600
: Probably some heuristic.  When you add up all RAM reported by the BIOS you
: get less than is really installed.  Except on a Tyne which reports 256MB
: to much ...

Hmmm, if the BIOS is gone when the kernel is started, how do I get
that information out of the BIOS?  Don't I need that to find out where
the tags start?  I notice the PICA and Jazz based machines check a
register that the R4400PC doesn't seem to have :-(.

: > Yes, but how will that help you?  Or does the BIOS load it to some
: > random address, but pic code will render what that address is a moot
: > point.  That would be very very very useful in doing the install tools
: > :-)
:
: The "Portable bootloader standard" contains some gossip about relocation.
: Maybe they're talking about PIC.  Too much to ignore it and not enough to
: use it ...

Oh good.  Sure wish that standard wasn't (C) Microsoft.  I'd want a
copy :-(.

Warner