Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 02:19:10 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> : You can't even find out exactly how much RAM is installed ...
>
> I know.  I wish I knew how NT and/or my BIOS found this out (it tells
> me when I boot), but I can't.

Probably some heuristic.  When you add up all RAM reported by the BIOS you
get less than is really installed.  Except on a Tyne which reports 256MB
to much ...

> Yes, but how will that help you?  Or does the BIOS load it to some
> random address, but pic code will render what that address is a moot
> point.  That would be very very very useful in doing the install tools
> :-)

The "Portable bootloader standard" contains some gossip about relocation.
Maybe they're talking about PIC.  Too much to ignore it and not enough to
use it ...