Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 09:03:21 -0600
Cc: Frederic.Roussel@eng.efi.com
: Milo detect only (via the ARC BIOS' limitied capabilites) CPU controlled
: second level cache, not PC-style chipset controlled.  The later type
: doesn't need special support, so Milo doesn't really care about it.

This is good information to add to some doc somewhere.  Took me a
while to realize that while I did have 512k of PC-Style Cache, I
didn't really have 512K of MIPS-Style L2 Cache.

: > milo-0.26 has been leading to an `TlbS exception occured' message
: > therefore entering the low level monitor of the NEC ARC BIOS.
: > milo printed its version, copyright string, the 3 ARC Id's and failed
: > before trying to guess on what HW it's currently running.
:
: Hm...  Not unusual.  The ARC BIOSes that I've tried yet are *that*
: buggy that they are barely useable.  I bet they've just been developed
: to the point where they can be used to install & boot WNT & related tools.

I've seen this problem (or a similar one) when I was booting MILO at
the wrong address.  I'll bet the BIOSes were developed to the point
they could install and boot WNT 3.1.  I've seen rumblings in the news
groups about NT needing new ROMs from time to time when new releases
came out due to bugs in the ROMs.  I don't recall the exact details,
but was around the 3.51 beta time frame.

Warner