Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO on NEC RISCstation 2200
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 15:26:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Frederic.Roussel@eng.efi.com
Hi,

> I've just tried MILO on an NEC RISCstation 2200.
>
> Well, milo-0.21 started Ok on that machine, printing:
>
>     ARC Vendor  ID  : [NEC W&S]
>     ARC ProductID   : [00004c81823d0072]  (ethernet addr. related)
>     ARC System  ID  : [NEC RA-94]
>
> Saying:
>
>     Processor type : [UNKNOWN I04 V6.0]

Interesting.  Can you please exactly tell me what CPU your machine has?

> And:
>
>     Secondary cache size : [unknown]
>
> (which is quite sensible as L2 cache is not installed on that machine)

Milo detect only (via the ARC BIOS' limitied capabilites) CPU controlled
second level cache, not PC-style chipset controlled.  The later type
doesn't need special support, so Milo doesn't really care about it.

> milo-0.26 has been leading to an `TlbS exception occured' message
> therefore entering the low level monitor of the NEC ARC BIOS.
> milo printed its version, copyright string, the 3 ARC Id's and failed
> before trying to guess on what HW it's currently running.

Hm...  Not unusual.  The ARC BIOSes that I've tried yet are *that*
buggy that they are barely useable.  I bet they've just been developed
to the point where they can be used to install & boot WNT & related tools.

Would you run some special hardwaretest program, if I send you one to
find out more about your machine?