Re: GNU libc 960501 binaries

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: GNU libc 960501 binaries
From: linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de (Linux Support)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:00:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> : 414cf01e0a5f6a78007dcd1a31b228e3  glibc-960501.tar.gz
>
> Just grabbed this and its md5 was cool.  Given the network problems
> earlier this week, this is some good news.  Now, to figure out how to
> update my cross compilation www page...

The whole trick is to make the traffic not cross the Ebone which is
currently in a close to unusable state 24h/day.  That's one reason
why one never has to many accounts ...

Please add comment to the cross compilation page about the tar to use
to unpack the package.  Demand paged MIPS binaries contain huge areas
of zeros.  Thats why I pack my archives using the -S (or --sparse)
option.  In case of this glibc archive the difference is about 230kb,
for root-0.01.tar.gz even 8mb which otherwise would be used just store
zeros on the disk ...  Unfortunately there are tar versions out there
that break when unpacking such an archive.  Among them are the versions
of tar delivered with SunOS 4 and 5 which break with the message "Bad
directory checksum" or even just silently.  Use GNU tar and it'll work.

Please note that this comment applies to all my binary archive, not just
the two mentioned.

  Ralf "I'll never visit a dentist again in my life ..."