Re: The goal ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: The goal ...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:42:42 -0600
: > In the past I've been bit by having inplace copy routines destroy what
: > was being copied.
:
: You're talking about overlapping copying but not inplace copies where
: source == dest?  This should not happen in case of the exception handler
: since strcpy(9) copies from low to high addresses.

I know that overlapping copies are undefined, even in place ones, by
the C standard.  It is possible that our current code will work, and
most future code will work.  I've been bit in the past by a PC
compiler that had a bug that bit people on inplace copies, so I'm a
little gun shy when I see code like that...

: Grin, I've *once* tried to use the GDB support in the Kernel introduced
: by Andy.  When ld had wasted more than 5 minutes forcing my harddisk
: to create yet unheard sounds I stopped that ...

I think you can just build one or two modules -g, and not the whole
thing.  I know in userland gdb can cope with this case.  I'll keep
that in mind because I'm limited to 1.44M in kernel size at the
moment, wonder why :-)

Warner