Re: Milo Arc/SGI, question about 1.3.91 and ftp.fnet.fr bandwidth

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Milo Arc/SGI, question about 1.3.91 and ftp.fnet.fr bandwidth
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 01:55:54 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Agreed.  One of the things I'd like to see is a MASH or something like
> that for my machine.  It would make the bootstrapping procedure
> easier.  Also, I'd like to have some way to partition and newfs disk
> areas from the ARC bios (even if it only works from "MOST" of the
> implementations).

I think it should work on *all* implementations even though we have to
use an undocumented feature.  I suppose the ARC installer for WNT uses
this same interface that we'll be using for an ARC based partitioning
program.

I believe ramdisk based Installation disk are preferable for this purpose,
though.

                     I now have a disk with 32M for kernels (DOS
> partition) and 280M for hacking (soon to be ext2fs).  Ralf, will that
> be enough?  Also, are disk roots supported yet.  setup.c leads me to
> believe not.

Aeehhh...  Disk roots do work.  What is broken is the passing of the
command line from Milo to the kernel.  That's why the boot device is
hardcoded in setup.c.  For now just hack it to fir your needs.
Stoned has already fixed this bug; the fix will be included in release
0.27 of Milo.

Stoned, any idea when 0.27 will be available?