Re: The goal ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: The goal ...
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 01:45:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> : Why should an inplace copy be dangerous?  Ok, for Jazz machines the kernel
> : needs several *microseconds* longer to startup.  A long time if you're
> : in hurry :-)
>
> In the past I've been bit by having inplace copy routines destroy what
> was being copied.

You're talking about overlapping copying but not inplace copies where
source == dest?  This should not happen in case of the exception handler
since strcpy(9) copies from low to high addresses.

> : Adjust the videoparams and you have a debugging console.  Usage should
> : be clear after a short look into the code.  With print_string() and
> : sprintf() in combination you can the same things as with printk().
> : tinycon.c is also easily useable for other machines with a PC style
> : character based display.
>
> I'll have to whip that into shape, since I need to get the values of
> things like the end of memory, etc.  I'd rather not do the gdb
> debugging yet, since I think that would be harder...

Grin, I've *once* tried to use the GDB support in the Kernel introduced
by Andy.  When ld had wasted more than 5 minutes forcing my harddisk
to create yet unheard sounds I stopped that ...