Re: The goal ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: The goal ...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 15:23:43 -0600
: Why should an inplace copy be dangerous?  Ok, for Jazz machines the kernel
: needs several *microseconds* longer to startup.  A long time if you're
: in hurry :-)

In the past I've been bit by having inplace copy routines destroy what
was being copied.

: I definately bugged mem_init() for your machine which frees the complete
: low 640k including the exception handlers ...  As paging_init() gets
: called before mem_init() this cannot be your problem.  Hmmm...

I'll have to take a look at that.  The last kernel I built is dying in
free_area_init, so I don't think your freeing the entire lower part of
memory is the problem either...

: Adjust the videoparams and you have a debugging console.  Usage should
: be clear after a short look into the code.  With print_string() and
: sprintf() in combination you can the same things as with printk().
: tinycon.c is also easily useable for other machines with a PC style
: character based display.

I'll have to whip that into shape, since I need to get the values of
things like the end of memory, etc.  I'd rather not do the gdb
debugging yet, since I think that would be harder...

Warner