Re: The goal ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: The goal ...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 21:33:00 -0600
: so you'll have to wait a bit until I upload the stuff.

Ralf, you are such a tease :-)

I've manage to compile the latest kernel (1.3.91 is the latest that I
grabbed) for the Deskstation.  I did it w/o procfs, and found and
fixed a couple of bugs in that support.  One of the things I noticed
was the load address for my machine is now 0x80100000.  Cool!  It also
looks like the interrupt handlers are copied down.  Isn't it dangerous
to do that inplace copy?  Shouldn't the code have a if (begin_except
!= KSEG0) protecting the copy?

Anyway, I'm not having much luck.  For reasons unknown I find that I'm
unable to get past paging_init() in the boot sequence (at least I get
a 'b' in the upper left hand corner of the screen and I've hacked
start_kernel to look like:
*(unsigned char *)0xa00a0000 = 'b';
        memory_start = paging_init(memory_start,memory_end);
*(unsigned char *)0xa00a0000 = 'c';
which is a pretty strong smoking gun).  I recall 1.3.64 hanging on
boot for reasons unknown, or was that 1.3.82.  It didn't happen on
1.3.62.  I'm off to find out why this is happening to me.  I wish
there was some easy way to get early panics to always print
something...  Ah, a problem to chase when I have time...

Anyway, I thought I'd let people know about this, since I had to
hassle Ralf about telling us about the cool patches and then telling
us we'd just have to wait.

Warner