Re: Linux/SGI coming

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/SGI coming
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 02:05:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

>    Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:02:38 -0700
>    From: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
>
>    Note that I might be putting a linux pc there and
>    hacking it to limit the rate at which the data can move.  Has anyone
>    done this?  That's SGI's primary concern, they would like to "reserve"
>    some bandwidth for other stuff on that T1 line.
>
> Besides the "OSPF routing CISCO penguin", I thought cisco (or any)
> router could provide this functionality.

Hmmm...  "My" domain Julia.DE is bandwidth limited by a serial line between
the providers Cisco's 7000 and the terminal adapter connected to our
leased line.  So I suppose just limiting the bandwidth at the router doesn't
work as expected.  One might implement this by routing the Internet traffic
via a SLIP/PPP serial line set to the maximum rate that SGI is willing to
give.  This is just what Larry suggested.

What however is definately is working is priority routing with Cisco.
Just set the machine's bulk transfer services on low priority.  This is
probably preferable as high bandwidth is available during low traffic
times.  Aside of this I belive that it will take quite some time until
the Linux traffic from that site reaches a level that makes bandwidth
limiting neccesary.

I hope that I'll have the neccesary bandwidth available in the near
future so that I can take over the Internet services, if required.
(Our provider has > 8mbit/s unused bandwith available :-)

   Ralf

(Hey Paolo, your hour has come.  Tell us about your routers :-)