Re: Linux/SGI coming

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/SGI coming
From: lm@gate1-neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:06:52 -0700
Sender: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com
: One of the design ideas in Milo was that there is a lowlevel library
: containing the interface to the os.  Milo itself uses the library
: interface.  The library interface again exports functions that look somewhat
: like unix systemcalls.  Stoned's version 0.27 of Milo will make this
: difference much clearer.  It might be a good idea to have one common
: bootloader package for ARC, SGI and as many others as possible.

SGI's stand alone shell takes the exact same approach.  There is a library
which is basically the SGI BIOS.  I'll go check and see if I can give you
guys access to all of that.  It would be cool to merge this stuff.  By the
way, I have no great love for SGI's stuff, using it would be done only if
it's the easiest path.  Having MILO work on SGI hardware would be cool.

: Btw - Linux 1.3.95 has a read-only implementation of UFS mainly for use
: by Linux/Sparc.  There are many variations of UFS in use.  I dunno if the
: Linux version is what SGI uses but anyway SGI's main filesystem are efs
: and xfs in the future.

We don't have a UFS file system.

: > I know that MIPS has published a bunch of errata on the web, including
: > ones for the R4000.  Don't know if the 2.2 is one in the list or not,
: > but will check my printed copies when I get home.  None the less, it
: > would be good to have more complete versions of these items if they
: > were available.  However, I just tried the address I have for this
: > data, and I can't find it now.
:
: I think the information isn't really complete.

Yes, I believe you are correct.  The current set of info is at the
copy center for David & and getting 2 spare sets.  This stuff is all
SGI NDA material, unfortunately.  However, David isn't under NDA and
we are giving him a copy.  I'm pretty sure that if you will agree not
to publish or redistribute **the documents**, I can get you copies and
you can redistribute the code that you write using those documents.
I think the SGI concern is that if too many people code to our internal
interfaces we'll be stuck with 'em.  It doesn't make sense to me either,
that's just what I was told.  Whatever, if you are willing to send a
letter swearing you won't copy or redistribute the docs, I'll work on
getting you a copy.

: > The cross compiler stuff is fairly easy to generate.  For the SGI
: > platform, it should go well.  There is a howto generate cross
: > compilers web page hanging off the Linux-MIPS howto page that should
: > give you what you need to know to build the goofy things, should you
: > require assistance.  There are a numnber of minor gotchas, so you
: > might want to glance there first.
:
: Gimme an account on an SGI and you'll have the crossdevelopment a bit
: later :-)

Really?  Let me look into this.  I think I could get a Challenge/S outside
the firewall as a CVS machine that you could hack on.  Try pinging sgi.com
and tell me what the response time is like.

--lm