Re: Linux boot question

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux boot question
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:06:58 +0200
Hi all,

(yeah, I know, I was *very* silent in the past months -- sorry!)

 > Well, we still didn't receive the machine promised by SNI.  So I continue
 > porting Linux/MIPS to dead hardware (Acer Pica).  Well, I consider a machine
 > not available for sale in Europe/US dead hardware.

Mr. Schweisser @ SNI Munich called me this morning and promised me
to send the box off next week. They recently ran out of machines, but
now I'm at the top of their priority list, he said. Well, let's
see...

 > This however doesn't mean that the project is dead - it just hasn't really
 > started yet.  A contract about SNI loaning a machine to Soft & Hard,
 > Andy's company has been signed.  SNI just hasn't fullfilled it's part yet.
 > People at SNI seem to be pretty interested in Linux/MIPS for their machines,
 > though.  Apparently one of them has asked for a port to a RM400 which is
 > a *SMP* machine.  Well, I'd cut off at least a dozen fingers for such a
 > beast :-)

Let's start the race, but be careful with your fingers! You need at
least three to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL ;-)

BTW, just a dumb and not Mips-related question, certainly to Michael Neuffer
who will take care of the SNI baby: I have trouble installing *any* of the
newer Linux/i386 releases on systems equipped with DPT SCSI controllers.
Is this a known problem, and is there a workaround? I tried four releases
on PM2024 controllers of different age. This is the result:

- Slackware-2.3/Linux-1.2.8/aout (works)
- Slackware-3.0/Linux-1.2.13/elf (fails)
- Debian 0.93R6/Linux-1.2.13/aout (works)
- Caldera 1.0/Linux-1.2.13/elf (fails)

Looks like that all ELF kernels don't work with the DPT controller.
I always get "HBA at 0x**** didn't react on INQUIRY. Sorry." Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andy