Re: Linux/SGI coming

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/SGI coming
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:13:58 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

> Cool!  Glad to see more developers tossed onto the Linux/MIPS
> project.  It is getting very close to being at the critical mass
> stage.  The kernel seems to be stable for some people, but not for
> others.

I think the main problem is just the Magnum console - then it will be
stable for the other people.  The console sometimes overwrites CPU
memory with data that actually should go into video memory ...

> Still, it is good to have people helping out.  If nothing else, SGI
> might be a good place to host at least a read-only CVS archive of what
> we're doing.  Or maybe not, it isn't required (and I'm not sure if the
> other Linux/MIPS people are keen on the idea).

Well, I'v been the person that dislikes CVS most on this list.  So you're
probably talking about me ....  This is only because I don't have the
resources to use/run a CVS archive is a reasonable way.  Otherwise I think
this is a good thing.

> Welcome on board David!  Good work on the Linux/Sparc port, btw.

Yes, indeed.  We still have trouble booting it at all here but when it
runs it runs ...