Re: Linux/SGI coming

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/SGI coming
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:47:59 -0600
Cc: davem@caip.rutgers.edu
:       some reinforcements are showing up soon.  SGI has hired David
: Miller, the guy that did most of the work on sparc linux, to come in
: as a summer intern and try and do the same for SGI machines.  SGI is
: being pretty cooperative with this, in terms of supplying information
: and equipment for David to work on.  *All* results will be GPLed (SGI
: will retain ownership so we can use it under a different copyright if
: we want) and all results will go out to the net.

Cool!  Glad to see more developers tossed onto the Linux/MIPS
project.  It is getting very close to being at the critical mass
stage.  The kernel seems to be stable for some people, but not for
others.  More people actively working on it can't hurt!

:       We will want to cooperate and coordinate with the existing
: Linux/MIPS team, seeing as you have accomplished so much already.
: I'm not sure how much overlap there is, since the SGI devices are probably
: different than the MIPS pc style devices, and the byteorder is different,
: but I'll bet there is a lot.

Still, it is good to have people helping out.  If nothing else, SGI
might be a good place to host at least a read-only CVS archive of what
we're doing.  Or maybe not, it isn't required (and I'm not sure if the
other Linux/MIPS people are keen on the idea).  I know the *BSD
people do well in this area....

Welcome on board David!  Good work on the Linux/Sparc port, btw.

Warner