Linux/SGI coming

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Linux/SGI coming
From: lm@gate1-neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:15:50 -0700
Cc: davem@caip.rutgers.edu
Sender: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com
Hi folks,
        some reinforcements are showing up soon.  SGI has hired David
Miller, the guy that did most of the work on sparc linux, to come in
as a summer intern and try and do the same for SGI machines.  SGI is
being pretty cooperative with this, in terms of supplying information
and equipment for David to work on.  *All* results will be GPLed (SGI
will retain ownership so we can use it under a different copyright if
we want) and all results will go out to the net.

        We will want to cooperate and coordinate with the existing
Linux/MIPS team, seeing as you have accomplished so much already.
I'm not sure how much overlap there is, since the SGI devices are probably
different than the MIPS pc style devices, and the byteorder is different,
but I'll bet there is a lot.

        Please add David Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu, to this alias so he
can be made aware of your efforts.

Thanks mucho and happy Linux to ya,