Memory managment & DMA

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Memory managment & DMA
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 00:56:19 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

I'm currently collecting data about the memory architecture of various
targets for Linux/MIPS.  Background is tht the current Linux/MIPS
memory handling is basicly only suited for MIPS systems with one
continuous chunk of memory; it also makes some assumptions about the
address of the available memory.  These assumptions fail eg. for
DECstation, rPC44 and supposedly SGI - in short everything that
isn't similar to a Magnum.

Could people which such machines please send me a description of their
machine's memory layout?

Another problem is the DMA.  The NCR53C94 is a very polular SCSI chip
among the various MIPS machines; Sparcs also use chips from that family.
As large as the number of machines that use these NCR chips is the number
of different DMA engines.  We therefore need a generic NCR driver that
can be efficiently be used with all these DMA engines.  I know that there
are some pretty wiered of these DMA engines out there.

So again here the request to post descriptions or pointers to such
describing the DMA engine.