Magnums

To: linux-mips
Subject: Magnums
From: Ryan Rafferty <ryan@ravage.labs.gmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 11:20:23 -0400 (EDT)
I managed to get bootp on my Linux/Intel box and nfsroot on my Magnum
working OK, which is great.  But after that point, things go downhill...

I untarred the Linux/MIPS root filesystem image and that mounts fine via
NFS on the Magnum.  When I boot the 2.0.22 kernel I compiled on my
Linux/Intel machine, it gets the bootp signal correctly, then mounts the
root filesystem OK, then dies when it gets to the part of /etc/init.d/boot
where it tries to turn on swap, etc.  Of course, it complains about
illegal instructions all over the place, but things seem to progress OK up
til that point.  If I comment out the swapon and "mnt -a nfs" statements
in /etc/init.d/boot, the Magnum gets all the way to where it says
"INIT: Entering Runlevel: 2" and then after about a minute it complains:

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
(repeats for Id 1 through 5)
INIT: No more processes left in runlevel: 2

and then it hangs.  I assume this is because /sbin/getty keeps dying for
some reason.  Any help?  Could I be running a kernel that's too old, or a
root filesystem image that's too old?

Thanks,
Ryan Rafferty