Re: G364 stuff in Milo

To: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: G364 stuff in Milo
From: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:29:02 +0200
Cc: luc.beurton@fnet.fr (Luc Beurton), linux-mips@fnet.fr (The List)
Cc: +sent@univ-evry.fr
Hi Ralf,
I post that to list also, as it can be of general interest for
Magnuj/Oily owners.

Ralf> Hi, I've played a bit more with the G364 stuff in Milo.  The
Ralf> problem seems to be that G364_get_display() calls
Ralf> G364_SWITCHOFF_VTG() and lateron G364_SWITCHON_VTG().  I dunno
Ralf> why this procedure is required.  Additionally doing

Ralf>   *(volatile unsigned int*)G364_TopOfScreen = 0;

Ralf> after G364_SWITCHON_VTG() fixes the problem.  It only looks as
Ralf> if the monitor is resynchonising again when G364_SWITCHON_VTG()
Ralf> is getting called.  Not having a manual for the G364 I'm
Ralf> interested in a comment from you what this all means ...

Luc can surely answer you more correctly as he had done this G364
stuff, but what I had understood is that when various G364 registers
are read when the Video Timing Generator is on you just get non
significant values, that's the reason why the VTG has to be turned off
before reading them. This means that you monitor just lost its
synchronisation input so seems to crash, but it recover pretty
quickly. And well for the TopOfScreen stuff we'll look at it, we got
the patches you posted, thanks.

Cheers Stoned.