Re: Console problems

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Console problems
From: Ryan Rafferty <ryan@ravage.labs.gmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 06:34:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Systemkennung Linux wrote:

> Are you using the Magnum in Hires mode (1280x1024)?  Only 1024x768 is
> working.  It also looks as if you've launched the kernel directly without
> milo which won't work.

Ah yes.  I started changing the resolutions right after I sent that
e-mail and now the console comes up OK.  This is of course a major
improvement =).  There is still junk at the bottom of the screen, but the
text is there.  I'm gonna look at the g364 code and try to see how hard it
would be to get the console working in 1280x1024, since that's the most
convenient mode for dual-booting with NT.  A few questions--what is the
latest development kernel you're using for Linux/MIPS?  I've got 2.0.21
which may be a little old.  Also, where can I find the specs for the JAZZ
stuff that you used to port to the Magnum?

> The onboard Sonic Ethernet is supported, so no need for the NE2000 -
> unless you wish to use something worse than the Sonic ...

The Sonic may be better, but the fact that it only has an AUI connector is
a real pain.  Our network only has BNC and UTP, and transceivers are
expensive.

Thanks,
Ryan