Console problems

To: Linux Mips <linux-mips>
Subject: Console problems
From: Ryan Rafferty <ryan@ravage.labs.gmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 05:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
I tried again today to get Linux running on my poor underutilized Magnum.
I compiled the kernel with the cross-compiler and AFAIK, I said 'yes' to
all the right options during 'make config'.  Then I put the precompiled
pandora and milo on my SCSI disk along with the kernel.

Next, I restarted the box and chose 'run a program' at the ARC console,
and pointed to pandora, which loaded fine.  Then I typed

> boot C:\zImage

(I defined C: to point to my FAT-formatted SCSI disk under ARC)

from which point it appeared to load the kernel.  After a few seconds, the
screen turned red-orange for an instant, then the bottom half of the
screen went blue and the top was black with what appeared to be scrambled
text with the scan lines all messed up and unreadable.

When I hit the 'enter' key, the lines of garbled text scrolled down a few
lines and then nothing would happen.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?  I have the g364 framebuffer
video card installed and an NE2000 in an ISA slot.  Other than that, it's
a standard Magnum 4000PC...

Thanks.

Ryan Rafferty