Re: MILO

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:05:23 -0600
Cc: haua@taec.com
: My name is Anne Hau, currently working on getting Linux to run on MIPS rPC44
: Deskstation.

Yow!  I didn't even know there were more than one of these ever made
:-)

: I do not have problem installing Linux on PC.  Many Linux distributions
: available make installing Linux on PC achievable.  With MIPS-linux,
: unfortunately, information is not widely available.

True.  However, don't expect a road as simple as Red Hat for the
Linux/MIPS stuff.

: I was able to compile mips-linux 1.3.62 kernel and MILO.  I compiled using
: mips-gcc on the PC host, then copied these images to floppies.
:
: Now the next step is to get Linux kernel installed.
:
: Upon reset rPC44, I got into ARCBIOS set up screen.  From this screen,
: it gives the option of running a program which I put:a:\milo.
: It then complained :
:       ERROR
: Load: Bad magic value in optional header: 00000107 != 00000000

Hmmm.  I've never seen this particular error message.  You need to be
careful to not strip the milo that you build, but this bug may be
fixed.  Also, milo needs to be a ECOFF image, not an ELF one, which
may be what you are seeing.  Finally, for the rPC44, you'll need to
compile milo to load at a different address than the stock MILO that
comes with the system.  I've not been able to get any released version
of milo to work with an ELF kernel either, so you may want to compile
a normal ecoff (aka a.out) kernel as well.  Also, the MILO that comes
with the milo distributions won't work on the rpc44.  You have to hack
the makefile to load at the right place, but the comments might be
clear.  I'm at work right this instant and can't take but a minute or
two to look things up.

Once you do all of that, you may be in for a let down.  So far I've
had problems mounting the root file system and having it read files
off of it correctly.  Some minor DMA problem is precluding it from
getting data twice.  I've been off working on taxes and some final
(again) details on a consulting contract that I've had for far too
long, so I've not investigated this problem too closely.

It may be possible to have a NFS mounted root file system and that
might work for you.  Up until very very recently, I was unable to do
*ANY* nfs on my network for reasons of policy rather than technical.

I also think that you'll have problems with the kernel unless it is
configured only for the Deskstation.  I've not completed the
integration of machine independent stuff that Ralf is working towards
yet.

Please do let me know how things go.  This is the first time I've seen
anybody else with another Deskstation, let alone another rPC44!

As far as I know, there are no install tools, or install packages
avaialble (yet) for the mips stuff, so you may be in for a bumpy
ride.

Warner