Re: cheap MIPS box

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: cheap MIPS box
From: "Arnim Littek" <arnim@digitech.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:53:42 +1200
On Fri, 29 Mar 1996 00:38:52 +0100 (MET), linux-mips@fnet.fr wrote:
> I am considering to make a cheap MIPS based box to run Linux/MIPS.
> Any help will be appreciated.

I too am looking at this as a project.  I don't have a company
standing behind me per se, but I have done a simple R3000 embedded
design, am co-designing on another and I am looking at making a small
R4000-based controller for embedded applications, for which I think
Linux/MIPS would be a good start.  Of course that will then have
application in several places I can think of...

One avenue I have tried, but not succeeded particularly well at thus
far, is getting detailed info on the NEC 4300 and 4100 parts.  The
data for any Japanese semiconductor houses is hard to get in this
country...

However, I would be quite happy to cooperate with you on this.  I am
not sure what your motives are - it would be good if this were a demo
board for the NEC MIPS processor family.  If your design is
partitionable, perhaps I can contribute somewhere.  The volumes of
units shipped from NZ preclude use of ASIC in all but a few
applications, but I have been a heavy user of programmable logic and
FPGAs, which does make some things simpler...

For what its worth...

Arnim.

Arnim Littek,                                  arnim@digitech.co.nz
R&D
Digi-Tech Communications Ltd                  tel. (64)(4) 389-8909
Box 20-002,                                   fax          389-9901
Wellington South,
New Zealand