Re: DECstation Linux/MIPS

To: afritz@starlink.com (Adam Fritzler)
Subject: Re: DECstation Linux/MIPS
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 17:11:02 +1100 (EST)
Adam wrote:

> >> I was also wandering if Linux/MIPS would still work if I was to
> >> purchase the R4000 upgrade daughterboard (from DEC) for it?
> >
> >I am responsible for most of the code at the moment, and have been
> >aware of the availability of such daughterboards for a while so I've
> >*tried* to make sure this will work.
> >
> >As I don't have one, and have never met anyone who's bought one, or
> >even knows how much one might cost, I can't tell you for sure if it
> >will work!
>
>         I checked on the prices from DEC a while back--they run about $3995
> (!).

Doesn't sound worth it to me...

>         I would think it should work because all the motherboard hardware
> would be the same, except for the processor-specific code (which you
> obviously already have for the R4000).  Are the R4000s backward -compat.
> with R3000 code?

Up to a point.  I have tried to retain the option of compiling the MMU
code for the R4000 when the kernel is otherwise configured for the
DECStations... so this should not be a problem.  In fact, it may allow
us to write 64-bit applications for such DECStations (yetch!)

> >Hmmm... the lack of programming skills probably leaves you with beta
> >testing responsibilities :-)
>
>         Sounds like fun! :)

Always a barrel of laughs :-)

> I would also like to say that I did get one of the DECstation kernels and I
> had it booting off my i486 Linux 1.3.68 machine within 30minutes with your
> instructions. (I'd never had any experience with tftp/bootp :)

Thank you for the compliment!

> BTW, do these kernels compile only under the cross-dev tools or do they
> compile under ULTRIX too?

Currently under cross-dev tools... though those same tools (gcc etc.)
compiled for Ultrix ought to work as well.

> Also, on your DECstation page you mentioned needing the URLs for the BSD
> DECstation ports--I had these laying around:
>
>         NetBSD/pmax     http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/index.html

Thanks, this one seems very interesting, so I've added it.  The other
one was hopeless, as you suggested.

Regards,
Paul