Re: Linux for DecStation 5000/25

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux for DecStation 5000/25
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:25:26 +1100 (EST)
Cc: kadlec.peter@rtoms2a1.gymrc.mts.dec.com
Hi Peter,

> I have been reading up on the state of your project... and I have a
> specific question: how far does your port support a DECStation
> 5000/25 ?

Well, the FAQ mentions support for 5000/2x where x can be 0 or 5...
and as the 25 is just a faster version of the 20, it will be
completely supported.

> and when do you think you'll have a working kernel?

Ummm... good question.  Now that the source has been released, I'm
hoping that several people will begin to contribute which should speed
things up.  You're no doubt aware that it's a part-time endeavour, so
it's rather dependent upon how much of the contributor's personal time
we get.

> I appreciate your help,

Well, as you're at DEC, perhaps you could help us?  In particular, the
MACH sources mention a document that describes the 5000/20 and 5000/25
hardware in quite some detail.  This document is not available on
DEC's public web server - are you able to access this?  It would make
life a *whole* lot simpler, and the port a whole lot faster, if we
could get DEC to release it (as they presumeably did to the MACH
team).

Regards,
Paul