DEC compilation (was Re: M700-10)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: DEC compilation (was Re: M700-10)
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:25:32 +1100 (EST)
Ralf, in response to questions about the Olivetti says:

> The switch of Linux/MIPS to ELF isn't complete yet.  You still need the
> a.out compiler to compile the kernel; *all* user code is ELF.  Though
> I promise this alredy for some time:  I'll fix the ELF problems with the
> kernel as soon as I can and will then eleminate the a.out support in
> compiler/linker.

Ummm... I noticed that one significant difference when compiling
the DEC kernel with 2.6.2 is that all intermediate binaries (.o's)
generated by as are in ELF format according to file... that and
the resultant vmlinux when linked is:

        mipsel executable not stripped

rather than the:

        mipsel executable - version 2.11