Compiling 1.3.62 for DECStations...

Subject: Compiling 1.3.62 for DECStations...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 11:15:37 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triemer@wesleyan.edu
Thomas Riemer wrote to me in email:

> Have you by any chance built 1.3.62 for the decstation?  I have, to
> no avail.   I made a few mods, but even so... when I load up the
> kernel it just quietly exits.

<sigh>  This would seem to be due to the 2.6.2 binutils you're
probably using.  I have been using some 2.5.1 binutils I compiled
here specifically for dec-ultrix cross-compiling which work well.
Last night I tried to use Ralf's 2.6.2 binutils and discovered exactly
the problem you mention.

I will fiddle some more with it to try to see what's going on. In
the meantime I could upload my binutils to Softway's ftp site if
you like.

Places to look for the problem if you want to try to figure it out with
me:

        What is the start address stored in the resultant vmlinux - it
        should be the address of dec_entry.

        Try linking decstation.o at the begining instead of head.o just
        to see if this helps (would indicate the problem above).

        Try to find other bizarre reasons for the 2.6.2 binutils not
        doing what we expect :-)

Regards,
Paul