Re: DECstation 5000/33

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/33
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:12:35 +1100 (EST)
Hi Gerhard,

> Seems that I can get my hands on such a box to try Linux out.
> Just read "linux-mips-faq.txt", it mentions only
> "DECStation 5000/2x, 5000/100, 3100, and others.". So do you know if
> my box is supported?

I didn't know there was a 5000/33... does it have the name Personal
DECStation on the front?  I assume it's just a 5000/25 made to run at
33Mhz if it is a Personal DECStation, in which case all of my comments
on the 5000/2x series would be identical.  In any case, we have found
that all of the 5000 series tested so far work fine (including the big
server versions).

Do you currently run Ultrix on this machine?  If you do, could you
tell me what the initial startup messages say when you begin booting
Ultrix (they usually describe the type of CPU, its speed etc.)

>  I don't know which network adaptor the box has, but it might well be that
> it is _not_ a NE2000 (the only supp. one, according to the faq).

The NE2000 is only supported by PC-like R4000 machines like the
Deskstation etc.  The DECStations do not have ISA buses... they have a
thing called turbo-channel instead.

The DECStations all use built-in ethernet chips on the motherboard,
which are similar to those used in the Western Digital adapters on
PC's (though of course they work better in the DECStation).  This
means we need special device drivers for the DECStation's ethernet,
but that they will be easy to write because they use the same chips.

The device drivers for ethernet for the DECStation are not complete as
yet, but DEC's BOOT PROM monitor does allow booting via the network
which is how we're testing the kernels (because even the floppy driver
is not working yet.)

> Is there any chance of booting without networking? I think the box
> has SCSI drives, which are also not supported (?)

None as yet, because SCSI isn't supported yet either!  ...which is why
we're using net booting from the boot prom.

>  Which mailing list should I subscribe to?

The general linux-mips mailing list is fine.

> Greetings!

And you!  Do you have any kernel-hacking experience?

Paul