Re: Project - machines

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Project - machines
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:22:44 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I am working on University of Helsinki, Lahti Research and Training Centre
> and i have currently one DS3100 just "eating power and running Ultrix"
>
> I'd like to contribute my freetime to DS-project=B4and do what i can.
> Basically i don't know anything about kernel-hacking, but i can help
> in state when it's possible to install and even run something.

Kernel hacking is just like other programming.  You make a mistake - it
crashes ...

> I can run cross-compiler on SunOS or Linux/386 if needed.

Good;  these operating systems give nice crossdevelopment systems.

> So, what is next step ?

I'm the main developer of Linux/MIPS.  Since I'm working on a Acer using
the R4000 I can only help you with general thing about Linux, Linux/MIPS
and the MIPS specific stuff.  The R3000 and DECstation ports are being
done by Paul Antoine (paul@suite.sw.oz.au).  I suggest that you contact
him about details of the R3000/DECstation.  For everything else I'll be
happy to answer your questions.

Technically you should probably start to setup a crosscompiling
environment.  There is some documentation about this available on
http://lena.fnet.fr/, but this doc isn't perfect yet.  This step
can be a bit nasty ...  If you say me for OS you need crosscompiler
binaries, I might be able to provide some for you.  Linux binaries
are already available on ftp.fnet.fr:/linux-mips/.

> BTW. I have meiled to vgers.rutgers.edu to subcribe linux-mips,
> but no answer yet...

Yes, Vger is slow and not used by the MIPS developers.  Instead the
developers are using the mailing list you've just mailed to.

Forgive the curious question to you - since some time I'm receiving
much more mail from people interested in Linux/MIPS and I'm interested
to find what made that massive increase.  Was it Webpages that made you
ask?

Happy hacking,