Re: TLB entries

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: TLB entries
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 19:57:45 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> : I think I'm slowly getting the 64bit stuff under control.  More things
> : than I had originally planed need to be patched, eg vsprintf which
> : assumed that long is the biggest type to print.
>
> This sounds cool.  What is it that you are doing?  It sounds like you
> are making it possible to run Linux/MIPS in 64 bit mode somehow and
> have 64 bit (and 32 bit, right) executables.  Is that correct?

Yes.  The kernel/user mode stuff of 1.3.62 is running in the 32bit mode.
This means that addresses outside of the 4G address range need to be
mapped into the address range using one of the scarce tlb entries.
Running in 64 bit mode this is still possible but no longer required -
you can directly access the new addresses.  Other advantages are: some
code does no longer have to run with interrupts disabled; User code may
take advantage of 64 bit instructions.

This isn't a real 64 bit kernel yet which would mean that we'd also need
to have a 64 bit address space.