Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 18:21:40 -0700
: I know this is not difficult code, but if you want some code for this,
: look in decstation.S... you may also want to create a deskstation.S
: and use a link script as I have done for the DEC, rather than have
: this kind of machine-specific code appear in head.S

I rather hoped that all ARC BIOS machines would copy down the
interrupt hanlders and load at KSEG0 + 1M.  I really don't want to
create a link script, but I'll take a look at the stuff to make sure
that this is what I really want. :-)  I certainly will do it in such a
way that it won't break the DECstation.

A stated goal early on was to have one kernel that could boot on all
of the supported machines.  I don't know if we can hit that goal with
all of the machines, but I rather hoped the ARC BIOS based machines
would be cool with that.  I'd rather not branch off the deskstation to
that large degree, since it is bascially the same as the other
machines once a few sillinesses have been eliminated.  And yes, the
current code needs to be cleaned up by me so that some of the sillier
ifdefs go away...

Warner