Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:53:01 -0700
: Milo contains some workarounds for Magnum specific ARC BIOS bug that
: make it crawling.  Andy once told me had'd have speed up that thing
: so I currently don't see the reason why Milo 0.26 is crawling on your
: machine.
:
: Andy???

I'm not Andy....  However, he went in and hacked it so that the entire
file was read in, and then things copied down into locore.  He did
this by requesting large (maybe even just one) reads to happen.  At
the time he said that it should reduce the amount of time spend
reading the kernel by an order of magnitude on stupid, brain-dead
floppy drives.  The reason I recall this is that I had some patches
that conflicted with his patches.  They were on the disk that died,
otherwise I'd try to merge the fastboot patches back into the milo.

On my machine, to give a datapoint, it takes about 30-45 seconds for
the machine to come up from poweron or reset.  It then takes about 5-7
seconds to load milo, and about 30 to load vmlinux (which is about
650k right now for my config).  I vaguely recall that Andy's fixes
made this happen in < 15 seconds, but I'm not positive, nor do I have
a copy of them any more :-(.  I really hate flakey disks...

Warner