Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 22:47:26 -0700
OK.  I fixed a minor mismatch between rpc44.S and pica.S.  They were
almost, but not quite, identical.  It wouldn't have impacted the
keyboard driver (since it only impacted IRQs larger than 7), nor would
it have impacted the floppy problem.  I've also upped the timeout to
be insanely large (1000 x the original value).  The silly thing waits
for 50 seconds now in the boot process...

Neither one of these items helped much.  After disabling the error
message for scan code 0xff, I get one keyboard: unrecognized scancode
(70) - ignored, message and then it finds FD0:.  Claims that it is a
8272A.  I then get more unrecognized scancode messages (63 and 7f)
when I'm prompted for the root floopy.  At this point, my keyboard
never works.  NumLock doesn't work at any point in the boot process
once Linux is launched.

Anyway, I'm seeing what the deal is here.  Obviously Linux is doing
something that my keyboard doesn't like.....  Time to go off and debug
it (although it is tempting to hack the insert root floppy code to
just keep going).

Warner