Re: DecStation and 1.3.59 [was: Re: Load address of 1.3.59]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DecStation and 1.3.59 [was: Re: Load address of 1.3.59]
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:01:40 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> : This is not the only macro instruction in MIPS assembler; in fact most of
> : the instructions are macro instructions that expand sometimes into five
> : instructions or more.  Many of them are described in the appendix of
> : the Kane.
>
> Ralf,
>       Just noticed this in my inbox...  Anyway, could you please
> give those of us who have to order books like this a 3-4 line summary
> of what is contained in Kane's book?  Would it be useful to me in my
> work to get the Deskstation up and running, or will the MUM that I
> have be enough.

[FAQ on]

What Literature about MIPS CPUs is available?

The book MIPS RISC Architecture from Gerry Kane is something like a bible
for MIPS programmers. It covers all CPUs upto the R4000 family. The book
also contains much other usefull information like the MIPS calling sequence,
a list of macro instructions that expand into multiple machine instructions,
examples of multiprecission arithmetic and more:

      Name
            MIPS RISC Architecture
      Author
            Gerry Kane
      Publisher
            Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J. 07632
      ISBN
            0-12-58479-4
            There's another ISBN mentioned in the book (0-13-584293-X), so be
            careful.

There is some additional literature about available as Postscript file on
SGI's FTP Server. These books contain much more details about the instruction
set and hardware but don't cover software aspects very good. Another
advantage is of course that these files are for free.

[FAQ off]