Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)

Subject: Slower BogoMIPS rating on 1.3.62 than on 1.2.10 :-)
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 23:34:34 -0700
OK.  I'm really upset now.  1.2.10.4 told me that I had a BogoMIPS
rating of 50.03.  Now, I go and boot 1.3.62 and I have only 49.87.
Who, exactly, is going to pick up the over .16 BogoMIP?  Tell me that,
why don't you?  BogoMIPS don't grow on tress, you know.  If I wanted
only 49.87 BogoMIPS, I'd be running NT...

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Or, in other words, 1.3.62 seems to work for me, for a suitible
definition of work.  Here's the boot sequence.  Seems like a thing or
two is amiss:

Launching Kernel... (bold font, rest lighter)
Console: 0 point font, 0 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x50, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 49.87 BogoMIPS
Memory: 31280k/32768k available (424k kernel code, 964k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.033 for Linux 1.3.50
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.10 BETA for Linux NET3.033.
Checking for 'wait' instruction...  unavailable.
Linux version 1.3.62 (imp@rover.village.org) (gcc version 2.7.2) #29 Tue Feb 13
22:36:40 MST 1996
initialize_kbd: reset kbd failed, no ACK.
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Started kswapd v 1.1.1.2
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
_

Well, as you might have guessed from the above messages, it hangs with
the blinking underscore.  The keyboard is dead.  But after a time, the
screen saver comes on :-) I had to transcribe the above quickly...

This leads me to some questions...

        1) Why can't it find the keyboard?  Another interrupt thing?
           I rebooted a second time (to see if I could find my missing
           bogomips) and found that I got a *flood* of keyboard error
           messages.
        2) Why did it find a floopy (fd0) and then say it couldn't
           find a controller?
        3) Shouldn't I have a WAIT instruction?  Hmmm... Not in the
           MUM, so maybe not.

Anyway, this is with an almost a bog standard 1.3.62 distribution.
This is good news, I think.  The diffs between what I built and 1.3.62
are about 262 lines long.  The diffs are in the ./Makefile (gmake and
awk rather than make and gawk), the load address chanage that I sent a
while ago to this list in arch/mips/Makefile, a couple of lines of
debug that incremented the upper righthand corner of the screen on
each interrupt in arch/mips/kernel/rpc44.S, spurious_interrupt removed
from rpc44.S and tyne.S, a horrible kludge in init/main.c in
calibrate_delay (outb(0,0x21)), a hack to scripts/Config to use a
local bash and a horrible video kludge vga.c (which is replicated
code).  Time to take my kludges out one at a time and see if that
helps my situation.  Anyway, this is likely trivia for most people,
but good places to look if you are adding a new machine type.

Why does it now work?  Obviously, it is because Ralf is a God.  It may
have also been faulty hardware on my end.  I noticed that the system
BIOS thought LPT lived at IRQ 0 for some reasoon.  Changed that to 7,
but the old kernels wouldn't boot right, the "second" interrupt
problem that I talked about before, but the new ones booted as above.

I now have a new slew of problems to solve, plus some interesting
integration issues to solve that Ralf raised.  Plus all the other cool
stuff I wanted to work on :-).

I'm much happier now about my MIPS box...

Warner