Re: MILO

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MILO
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:54:29 -0700
linux-user (jens)
jens> So all the good work should be on this CD :)))
jens> An integration into their YAST (jens panics and seeks a manhole)
jens> wouldn't be _that_ bad, would it?

Don't know, but I agree with Ralf that we're not (yet) that stage...

The problem I'm dancing around right now is how do I get Linux onto
the system so all the cool install programs can run....  For the
moment, cp will be all that I need.  Other things are needed over time
like a way to partition the disk, a way to format the disk (both FAT
and ext2fs), a way to get enough of Linux onto the system to boot,
etc. etc. etc.

I do have a crude version of cp working now in milo, so I can copy
milo to my hard disk and change the parameters around in my boot
menu...  I'll coordinate with Stoned to get these patches into MILO
0.27 or 0.28 depending on what the state of his world is at right now.

Ralf> Probably we'll be taking the same path as most other
Ralf> distributions.  Debian as free distribution and then RedHat as
Ralf> commercial distribution which will lead us in direction to
Ralf> Caldera.

Ralf> For now I suggest that just create tar packages until we have
Ralf> something better.

That sounds good for the moment.  At some point in the future we'll
need to have a complete install system, but for now a compressed
kernel, milo and a floppy or two would do the job.  We might also be
able to assume that the target system has NT running on it already (or
ultrix) and leverage off of that fact.

Warner