Re: DecStation and 1.3.59 [was: Re: Load address of 1.3.59]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DecStation and 1.3.59 [was: Re: Load address of 1.3.59]
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:16:01 +1100 (EST)
Stoned wrote, in response to Tom's question:

> >So, I've gotten to the point where I'm able to compile... but not
> >link the kernel for the DecStation R3000.
>
> >The things that I'm missing are
> >OFFSET_BOOTINFO_TLB_ENTRIES
> [SNIP]
>
> >These used to be defined in include/asm-mips/bootinfo.h
>
> >They were commented out.
> >Any ideas what it should become?
> >decstation.S seems to be the thing complaining.
>
> Well,have you seen the comment added by Ralf at the top of
> decstation.S (under FIXME:) ?
>
> I believe Dec people have to put in dec_entry() the tags creation stuff
> that Milo does for ARC boxes. MACH does all hardware detection for Dec
> after the kernel is launched so I believe the same kind of job can be
> done in dec_entry(): it will create tags and then kernel_entry() and
> setup_arch() will read them... Not very optimized, any idea to improve
> this ?

The whole of dec_entry needs some optimization, so for the moment this
solution is fine.

My current thinking on dec_entry is that we need a dec kernel loader
program, that can use either disk or network (making use of the
appropriate boot prom calls) to load the plain kernel... I'll see if I
can hack something up...

Paul