Re: Deskstation progress and questions...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation progress and questions...
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 23:57:30 -0700
: I've managed to get to my first "out_p" statement!  I'm hanging there
: because mipsconfig.h defines PORT_BASE to be 0xe2000000.  On the
: Dekstation, this needs to be 0xb0000000, so I've hacked mipsconfig.h
: and am rebuilding.  Ideally, we'd have some way to do this that didn't
: require a recompile of the whole kernel, but it would also have to be
: fast, and I'm not sure that fast and configurable are both attainable
: here.  For the moment, I'm just punting and putting the ifdef in...

I've been able to get to the following point in the kernel boot with
*LOTS* of hacking that I'm not sure is correct

Launching Kernel...             (this is bold, the rest isn't)
Console: 0 point font, 0 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x50, 1 virutual console (max 63)
Calibraring delay loop.. _

The _ is the blinking cursor.

I do need to go in and fix the 80x50 number, but I doubt that is
causing the apparent hang...

Any ideas?  My guess is a timer is set for a while in the future, and
then it never expires, so the kernel just keeps counting...  I could
be wrong about that.  Ralf, have you seen this before, say, on the
Deskstation Tyne?  I'm too tired to track it down now, but I think
that I may have left out some code either in MILO or the early init
that the tyne used...

But at least I'm to the point in the kernel where I can get console
output....

Anyway, I'm off to bed.  Backup (I'm a wimp) run in 10 minutes, so I
shouldn't lose everything this time.

Warner

P.S.  The disk that was supposed to go into the Linux/MIPS box has
died on me :-(.

P.P.S.  I'm wordsmithing the linux-mips-howto.html.  Comments and/or
suggestions are welcome.  The latest draft can be found at
http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/mips/linux-mips-howto.html.